I wasn’t planning on running Encinitas Half Marathon, on the account of my self restriction of one half marathon a month, to allow myself enough time in between races. However, March is a special month, and I found myself in a special circumstance. I wanted to do LA Marathon, which didn’t materialize, and in the mean time Snail’s Pace offered a free entry to Encinitas Half so in my mind this is my way of making up for a 26.2 mile! I do think there are some really good reason for everyone to consider running Encinitas Half Marathon and here are my 5 reasons!
- It is Inaugural Race, so you will get to be ‘legacy’ if you continue to run this course. There is not a lot of inaugural races happening these days, so its a chance for a ‘new runner like me’ to be part of a legacy programme!
- If you are a pretty good strong runner and aiming for age group placement, know that there is $250 prize money for each top age group winners, male adn female, at the masters. (40 and above – 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+). This is something I don’t usually see with races, so its a pretty nice offering. Top 5 finishers male and female do take prize money in the rage of $1.500/$750/$300/$200/$100 respectively.
- Flat and fast beautiful Ocean front Course! It looks beautiful from all the photos they are posting on social media. and if you are like me running the triple crown challenge, in Carlsbad, La Jolla and San Diego, this is a cute add-on, so we can cover more of the coastal cities!
- I really think the race organizers went above and beyond to make it an everyone’s race. The course time is 3hr15min(14:53 min/mile pace). However, if you feel like not wanting to finish the out and back look, feel free to turn around anytime, and walk back to the finish line to claim your medals. Everyone’s promised a finisher medal! I think its pretty charming that they even thought of offering this! Even though pets, handcycles and racing chairs are not allowed, Strollers are in!
- $140,000 of the proceeds will be donated to Special Needs Children, Disabled Adults and Veterans, High School Scholarships, Ocean Conservation Youth Education Programs and Marine Mammal Rescue Equipment for North County San Diego. And 100% of the net proceeds is being donated to local ocean, beach, and park related projects.
Registration is still open and code RaceShed gets you 10% off. (price comes to $103). register here. (Online registration closes on Saturday night at 8pm. But you can sign up on the race day for $120. Bring cash or credit card).
Race Day Info
- BIB Pickup
- Yes you can pick up your friends bib. have a photo of their id.
- Pick up your bib at the expo on March 24th(12-6pm) or 25th(10am-6am) – at 398 3rd Street, Encinitas, CA 92024 (Google Map link )
- Race day pick up is $15, bring cash or credit card!
- If you can’t make it to the race, email email@example.com and ask for your options. You may be given an option to run it as a virtual race and still get your medal and t-shirt, as the transfer period (transfer to others, or next year has ended on March 20th).
- Race Day
- Race starts at 7:30am.
- Race Day Weather
- Starts off close to 56 degrees and finish would be around 61 degrees.
- 3 to 4mph wind.
- Course and Elevation
- Its an out and back loop. I see mile 4.1 with a little hill. I can’t check strava data so I cant provide mile by mile elevation data like I usually do.
- Race Day Parking:
- Course start/finish line is 398 3RD STREET, ENCINITAS, 92024 (Google Map ) I am planning to head out to Library and City Hall parking to try my luck before I venture into other spaces.
- Official parking instruction: link
- Coaster Parking lot off of Vulcan Ave. & Encinitas Blvd. (South of Encinitas Blvd.)
- Encinitas City Hall off of Vulcan Ave.
- Encinitas Library behind City Hall on Vulcan
- Cottonwood Creek Park off of Vulcan Ave. & Encinitas Blvd. (North of Encinitas Blvd.)
- The neighborhood streets surrounding Moonlight Beach, Hwy 101 and Vulcan
- Race Course Hydration
- Water stations at most every mile.