Tustin Hangar Half Race weekend will be this Sunday – March 12, 2017. Initially I kind of wanted to do the San Diego Half that is on the same day, as I am really partial to races there with the hilly courses, but the idea of Inaugural race + chance to run through the Tustin Blimp Hangar (which is one of the National Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks with its ‘largest free standing wooden structures in the world’ status) won me over to sign up for this race. That and the fact that I got to sign up for like $70 with the 20% discount code they gave us! I have been running a lot, and increased my miles recently which is good in the sense, my training has been consistent, and I also feel like the increased miles have done a number on my system in general. At this point, Running to me is like an art and I have no idea how its going to go until I really go out there and run it! Its our South Coast Road Runner Club Run, so expect to see our SCRR shirts on the course!
Registration is still open and you will be able to sign up on race day too. Use code MAHESH2016 FOR 20% OFF. (Price comes down to $96 for half, $32 for 5k) – Register here.
- Being a small town local race, you do have the luxury of showing up on the race day and pickup your bib and shirt (if they still have your size!). Being an ambassador tot his race, I did get a pre-race shirt, which seems really cool! I will get to see my race shirt this weekend when I go pickup my packet!
- If you are like me, wanting to get the right size race T-shirt, head out to their expo to pick up bib on the following days.
Race Day and Time
- Race Day : March 12, 2017
- Half Marathon: 7am
- 5k : 7:30am
(Remember the time change, so its more like 6am. Plan accordingly with your fuel, breakfast, sleep the night before etc)
Race Day Parking
- Even though Tustin District is a nightmare for parking on a typical weekday, I don’t think you will have any problem finding free parking on a Sunday morning. There is plenty of parking.
- There is a lot of road closure. But based on what i see, Jamboree would be ideal way to get to the district, without any issues.
- Free Parking…. Tustin may not have an ocean view, but we do get to enjoy tons of free parking.
- looking at the map, it seems like there will be water stations at miles 1.5, 3.5, 5.5, 6.5, 8.5, 10.5, 11.5.
- I cant tell where Gels will be available, but if its anything like Laguna Hills race, it will be after Mile 6. but Be prepared and bring your Gel.
Race Day Weather
- No rain, and temperature around 58 degrees. Seems like a good day to run.
- Being a race hosted by Renegade Race, the resulting/timing company will be GeminiNext. Down load their app on your iphone, or use this URL to check your official time on race day – https://gemininext.com/results/?event_id=5436
Post Race Tips
I don’t really like any place at District however, if you are looking for a post race brunch spot, head over to TAPS for their famous Sunday Brunch, which I absolutely adore and like! Its $38.99 brunch buffet style with gourmet options and unlimited Mimosa & Champagne. They open at 10:00am on Sunday! ( Address : https://www.yelp.com/biz/taps-fish-house-and-brewery-irvine )
I usually have a mile by mile course chart, but I never ran this route before and I don’t have anything available at the moment. But if I find any I will update my blog with it. The course is a gradual up hill for up until mile 7.5 and a down hill to finish. Its a out and back loop to the most part.
Race Pace Calculation tools
- Use this McMillan tool to forecast your past race time to see what your possible race time can be for this race. – https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/
- If you have a goal time in mind use this chart to figure out what your pace must be.