I am set out to to do both Beach Cities Challenge and Tri Crown Challenge this year! I will be completing my beach cities challenge with OC Half on May 7th. La Jolla Half Marathon this weekend will be the 2nd stop of the Tri Crown Series. I have done the 5k here last year, when they didnt give me any medals, and left me with jealousy when I saw the half marathoners with their big A4 size medals. This weekend will be my redemption weekend, when I will get to run these hills, and claim my own La Jolla Half Medal! San Diego in general is pretty hilly to run anywhere, and La Jolla seems to be extra special hilly. Our friend Priss when she ran this half last year, lost her toe nail after the race. I know how to guard myself against chafing, but I dont know what I would watch out for to protect toe nails, but this weekend will be the day to find that out! I have put together this race day cheat sheet
Confirm Your Entry
If you are like me that sign up for races year in advance so you can save $$$s, and forgot if you did or didnt sign up for this race – check your confirmation here.
- Race day BIB pick up is available, for $20(card or cash) starting at 6am to 7:15am – at the startline.
- You can pick up others BIB as long as you have the photo copy of their ID.
- Friday – Noon to 6pm, Saturday – 10am to 5pm – at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar – 15575 Jimmy Durante Boulevard, Del Mar, CA 92014
Race Start Time
- Race Start Time: Sunday – April 18, 2017 – 7:30am
- Address: Delmar Race Track, 2260 Jimmy Durante Boulevard, Del Mar, CA 92014 ( Close to Delmar Fairgrounds )
- Its a point to point race, starting from Delmar race Track to LA JOLLA COVE. Last year we dropped our friend at the start line, next to the Race Track and it was pretty easy to drop off. However, I hear the traffic to get in and out of the parking there could be delayed with the crowd. So get there early if you are planning on being at the start line. You could park at the finish line and take the bus to the start line as well.
- Startline: Address: 2260 Jimmy Durante Boulevard, Del Mar, CA 92014
- Finish Line parking address: 1267 Park Row, La Jolla, CA 92037 (This is where we parked last year, but park anywhere you can find space at this point. I am just providing this as a point of reference. if you park here, you will see people with bib walking down to the bus line. Just follow them to the cove. for Buses).
I have been ‘informed’ of the infamous hills at La Jolla, and I have seen first hand my friend losing her toe nail right after this race, so I know I am in for some new experience. But here is the elevation chart/mile by mile break down.
Race day Weather
Live results: check their website.
- Course time limit is 3 hours. (13:44 Pace)
- Because of steep hills, no strollers, racing chairs and handcycles
- Online registration has been closed. But you can still register at the expo.
- There will be pacers for 1:30, 1:35, 1:40, 1:45, 1:50, 2:00, 2:10, 2:15, 2:20, 2:30, 2:45.
- Gear check will be available at the start line. (You pick up your stuff after the finish at finish line)
- There will be beer at post race party! yes.